Dealer Code of Ethics
In an ongoing effort to ensure a fair and honest marketplace for new car and truck buyers, the Washington State Auto Dealers Association (WSADA) 2003 Board of Directors unanimously adopted a “Dealer Code of Ethics.” It emphasizes high business and customer service standards, which have been the trademark of the state’s new-vehicle dealers for decades. The ethics code was developed by the National Automobile Dealers Association and outlines standards for advertising, sales, service and financial professionals to follow when interacting with customers.
Washington’s auto dealers have been practicing these high standards for years, but the Association officially adopted the code believing it reinforces dealers’ strong commitment to their customers, and that adherence increases consumer confidence, reduces disputes, and contributes to the overall health of our state’s economy.
The ethics code was reviewed and approved in 2003 by the Washington State Attorney General’s Office and the Washington State Department of Licensing. The Dealer Code of Ethics embraces a number of strong business and customer service standards, including:
- All sales professionals will be honest and truthful when dealing with consumers.
- All vehicle service professionals will perform high-quality repair services at a fair and competitive price.
- All financial service professionals will fully disclose to customers the costs, terms, and contractual obligations of credit and lease transactions.
- All documents will be written in a simple, plain and unambiguous manner to the extent permitted by federal and state law.
- All advertising for products and services will be done in a clear, conspicuous and accurate manner that fully complies with applicable legal requirements.
Dealers have to earn the trust of customers every day, one at a time, and it all starts the minute someone enters the showroom. When car or truck buyers walk into a dealership and see the Dealer Code of Ethics decal on the window and the certificate of compliance on the wall, they can expect to be treated with the highest level of fairness and professionalism.